Scenes at School
Due to the age of the protagonist and our target audience, as well as taking influence from other music videos and films, we decided that we wanted part of our video to be taken at school. The film "Breakfast Club" and the music video for Pearl Jam's "Jerimiah" were big influences for these scenes, with a number of ideas coming from watching these. Settings looked at as ideas for scenes in the school include:
- In the school sixth form center
- In a corridor next to some lockers
- On a staircase with two 'bullies' walking past the 'muse nerd'
Scenes in Ilkley Town
|Main Bridge in Ilkley|
- Down by the river on the pebble beach
- On the Main Bridge in Ilkley, just up from the pebble beach.
- We also tried a very different idea on the same MainBridge with the attempted suicide scene at the end. This was very different to the other ideas for on the bridge, though in the end we decided on using a different setting.
- Ilkley Skate Park
- On the rugby field
- On a different pebble beach further down the river where the protagonist is looking up at the Swing Bridge.
- On the Swing Bridge where we filmed a different suicide scene
- Footage from the underground tunnel
- The protagonist playing football on the street in the snow
- In the local park with the protagonist alone
- On the moorside
- Down by the stream in a wooded area
- At the bus stop
- On the football pitch
On the Bus
The scenes that we shot on the bus were fairly ambitious and challenging, though we felt we had nothing to lose in shooting these scenes; if they worked then we could include them in our final piece and if they failed they could simply be deleted. Challenges included holding a camera steady on the bus which at times proved impossible but also ensuring that we didn't catch people who were unwilling to be filmed in the shots, whilst still making it look like other people were on the bus. We managed this by including other members of the group in the shot so that it looked like other people were on the bus, but we didn't have any problems regarding permission.